Want to make steamed macaroni for dinner? It is a classic of Swedish cuisine, usually served with fried falu sausages and meatballs.
It goes perfectly with the creamy texture of milk and the taste of salt, sugar and nutmeg.
Here is my favorite recipe that takes about 30 minutes to make at home. This is a simple recipe where you cook the macaroni before adding it to the condensed and flavored milk.
This recipe is hard to fail with stewed macaroni!
Stewed macaroni is a classic Swedish dish that is loved by adults and children alike.
This is a simplified recipe for food that minimizes the risk of burning in the pan.
I like to add a little sugar and nutmeg to stewed macaroni. But it can be omitted or replaced with black pepper if you prefer.
6 dl Old Fashioned Ideal Macarons (cooking time 7-8 minutes)
5 dl of milk
3 tablespoons of wheat flour
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar (can be omitted)
1 tsp nutmeg (can be ground)
- Cook macaroni for 7 minutes (7-8 minutes if using Old Fashioned Ideal Macaroni).
- Drain in a colander and mix in a little butter to prevent the macaroni from sticking together.
- Mix all-purpose flour with 3 tablespoons of milk and whisk it. Whisk in the flour little by little so that it does not form lumps.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add milk. Let it boil (stir at regular intervals so that the milk does not burn in the pot).
- Whisk the broth and boil on low heat (about 5-10 minutes). Shake from time to time.
- Season with salt, sugar and nutmeg.
- Carefully mix the macaroni into the stew. Mix well.
- serve immediately.
When boiling milk, it is important to stir it often so that the milk does not burn in the pot. This is the most common reason people fail to cook macaroni stew.
You have to be on the stove all the time and keep an eye on it!
More about stewed macaroni
Boiled macaroni has been a popular everyday food for Swedes since the 1950s. It is still one of the most popular dishes in Sweden, which is not only delicious, but also very easy to prepare at home.
Traditionally, the food is prepared by first boiling milk and then adding macaroni until the macaroni softens and the milk thickens.
However, the traditional recipe can often cause the base to burn and the macarons to crack.
In more modern recipes, the macaroni and the stew are cooked separately – which reduces the risk of the milk burning and the macaroni breaking.
How long does stewed macaroni keep?
Of course, steamed macaroni is best eaten the day you make it. But it’s good to store leftovers in an airtight jar in the fridge and reheat the next day.
It still tastes good, but it’s not as creamy.
How to serve steamed macaroni?
Fried falu sausage is the most common dish served with fried macaroni. But some people also like to eat macaroni with meatballs or fried pork.
Ketchup is also a classic side dish!
Have you tried my recipe? Please leave a comment!