Want to make a salmon spinach pie? It is very easy and tastes great with this recipe.
My Salmon Spinach Pie is made with cold smoked salmon, Westerbotten cheese, onions and fresh spinach. Before serving, I decorate with extra cold smoked salmon and a slice of lemon to give the pie a little extra.
Here’s my favorite salmon spinach pie that takes about 1 hour 10 minutes to make at home!
Tips for success with salmon and spinach pie
Before you head to the grocery store and start making a recipe, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips for success with salmon and spinach pie:
Use a food processor for the pie dough
Of course, the fastest and easiest way is to mix the dough ingredients with a food processor. It only takes a few minutes and it’s done!
However, if you don’t have a food processor, you can do it by hand.
Then mash the butter with flour and salt. Then add cold water gradually and knead the dough together.
cold smoked salmon or smoked salmon
It’s a matter of taste that you choose yourself. I personally think that cold smoked salmon is the best, which is why I have it in my salmon and spinach pies.
If you like grilled salmon, you can choose this instead!
Selection of cheese
You can use any grated paneer for this recipe. However, I recommend using Westerbotten cheese because it gives the pie a wonderful taste.
use fresh spinach
Frozen spinach is quite watery when thawed, so I recommend using fresh spinach in this recipe. There is a risk that the pie will freeze properly when the spinach is filled with water.
Also, don’t use any kind of oil when frying the spinach after the onion. This can also result in a slightly loose pie.
1 hour 10 minutes
A nice and simple recipe for a salmon-spinach pie that takes about an hour to make at home.
Allow to cool properly and garnish with cold smoked salmon and a lemon slice before serving.
Braiding of wheat flour
- 3 dl wheat flour
- 100 grams of butter
- 0.5 tsp of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- 200 grams of fresh spinach leaves
- 200 g of cold-smoked salmon
- 100 g of Westerbotten cheese (about 2 dl grated)
- 1 yellow onion
- oil for frying
- 3 eggs
- 3 dl of whipped cream
- 1 crore of black pepper
- 100 g of cold-smoked salmon
- lemon slices
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Mix the pie dough ingredients together in a food processor. Press into a mold (diameter approx. 25 cm) and prick with a fork.
- Bake the pie crust for 10 minutes. Remove and reduce the heat to 175 degrees.
- Chop the onion and fry in olive oil until transparent. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Fry the spinach for two minutes until it softens and shrinks. put aside.
- Grate salmon and grate Westerbotten cheese. Alternate with the onion and spinach in the pie dish.
- Beat the eggs, whipped cream and black pepper in a bowl. Pour the pie filling on top.
- Bake on the middle level of the oven for about 35-40 minutes, until the surface is nicely colored and hardened.
- Remove and let cool before serving. Garnish with lemon slices and cold-smoked salmon.
step by step instructions
1. Put the contents of the pie dough into a food processor. Mix the flour together.
2. Press the dough into a pie and prick with a fork.
3. Finely chop the onion.
4. Put a little oil in a frying pan and fry until it softens.
5. Fry the spinach.
6. Grate the panel.
7. Cut the salmon into pieces for the filling.
9. Alternate the onion, spinach, cheese and salmon in the pie dish.
10. Mix the scrambled eggs together.
11. Pour the egg mixture over the filling.
12. Bake on the middle level of the oven for about 35-40 minutes, until the surface of the pie is beautifully golden brown. Take out and let cool.
More salmon and spinach pie
Salmon and spinach pie is a classic that is suitable for most occasions. It can be served for lunch or dinner with a fresh salad or at the buffet table.
It is a popular Easter dish, but it can also be served with many other smaller dishes at both Midsummer and Christmas.
Pie with salmon and spinach can be prepared in a few different ways. Some use regular salmon and others use smoked salmon or cold smoked salmon like I use in this recipe.
Can I make the salmon and spinach pie the day before?
Yeah! It is really good to prepare the pie the day before so that it hardens properly. Just wait until you are going to serve the pie with the decoration.
Store covered in the refrigerator and heat in the oven before serving.
Have you tried my recipe? Please leave a comment!