Pumpkin pie is a savory pie made from pie dough, butternut squash, eggs and cheese. This is a complete buffet meal that can be served for both lunch and dinner.
Here is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe that is both delicious and easy to make at home. The recipe takes about 1.5 hours and is appreciated by both young and old.
1 hour 20 minutes
Pumpkin pie is perfect for serving at a buffet table with a nice and fresh salad for lunch or dinner.
This is an easy pie that gets a nice and slightly sweet flavor from the butternut squash.
Braiding of wheat flour
3 dl wheat flour
100 grams of butter
0.5 tsp of salt
2 tablespoons of cold water
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the pie dough ingredients in a food processor and mix into a dough. If you don’t have a food processor, mix the salt, flour and butter in a bowl and crush by hand. Then add water and knead into a dough.
- Press the dough into a pie (about 25 cm in diameter) and put it in the fridge for half an hour. Then pre-bake the pie crust in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Peel the pumpkin with a potato peeler. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut the pumpkin into 0.5 cm thick slices and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the middle of the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion and saute in oil until it becomes translucent. Add to the bottom of the pie crust.
- Take the pumpkin out of the oven and save the beautiful pieces for decoration. Cut the rest of the pumpkin into small pieces and add to the pie crust.
- Grate the parmesan and cut the chevre cheese into small pieces and place in an even layer on top of the pie.
- Beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour over pie.
- Decorate with pumpkin slices and bake on the middle level of the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
- Alternatively, sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds before serving.
If you want to know if the pie is ready, you can shake the pie pan. If the pie is runny, the egg yolk has not frozen properly and needs to be in the oven for a few more minutes.
If you notice that the pie is coloring too much, you can cover it with foil (this prevents the pie from burning).
If you don’t have foil, you can lower the temperature in the last few minutes.
More Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin pie is most commonly associated with the sweet American pumpkin pie, which is made from pie flour, pumpkin, sugar, spices, and whipped cream.
Anyway, in Sweden, the word pie is used a little differently and both sweet and savory pies are made. In England, the word “quiche” is commonly used when making food pies.
This recipe is a hearty pumpkin pie that includes pumpkin, onion, egg yolks, and cheese. It is good to eat on its own or as a side dish with a salad.
The pie can be eaten hot, lukewarm or cold – making it the perfect dish to serve at a buffet table or at a picnic.
How long does pumpkin pie last?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Eat 3 a day.
More food pie recipes
Have you tried my recipe? Please leave a comment!