Fried fish is not only delicious, but also very easy to prepare. Once you’ve tried making breaded fish at home, you’ll never want to buy ready-made products at the grocery store again.
Below is my favorite recipe that can be served with e.g. boiled potatoes, fennel chutney, green peas and a slice of lemon.
Tips for success with fried fish
Before you go shopping and start the recipe, it’s good to remember a few things. Here are some tips for success with the dish:
You can make breaded fish from both cod fillets and cod fillets. The cod fillet is clearly the best, but it costs a little more.
I always recommend buying fish with MSC. This means that the fish are caught wild and the fish are caught with the marine environment in mind.
Accessories for fried fish
Fried fish is very good. You can, for example, serve with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes and cold chutney. Dill sauce, remoulade sauce or fresh citrus sauce go well with this dish.
Then it’s good to have something green on your plate as well. I usually use green peas, but steamed or steamed broccoli and cucumbers are good too.
Use a kitchen thermometer if possible
To keep the fish as juicy as possible, it can be a good idea to keep an eye on the internal temperature, especially if you use slightly finer and more expensive fish.
If you are using a kitchen thermometer, cook the fish to about 50 degrees F. If you cook it too long, the fish can dry out, which is not so good.
A nice and simple recipe for breaded fish that can be served with boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes with a nice and cool sauce like dill or remoulade sauce.
- Measure the flour and breadcrumbs. Store in two separate bowls.
- Crack an egg into a bowl. Add lemon juice and milk. Whisk with a fork.
- Sprinkle both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Roll the fillets in the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally in the breadcrumbs. Keep on a plate.
- Heat a frying pan with butter (don’t skip).
- Fry the fish for about 5-7 minutes on each side (the time depends on the thickness of the fillets).
- serve immediately. Preferably with boiled potatoes, dill sauce and green peas.
1. Measure the breadcrumbs, wheat flour and beat the egg with milk and lemon juice.
Sprinkle both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper. Fold the dough in.
3. Pour in the egg mixture and turn so that both sides are covered.
4. Do the same with the breadcrumbs in the bowl.
5. Fry for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Don’t skimp on the butter.
More about camped fish
Breaded fish is a favorite food in most households around Sweden. Many people buy it ready-made at the grocery store because it’s nice and easy, but cooking it yourself isn’t difficult at all.
Ready-made breaded fish bought at the grocery store can be good, but it contains a lot of unnecessary additives. Homemade is much healthier for you and your loved ones.
Accessories for fried fish
- boiled potatoes or mashed potatoes
- cold sauce such as dill sauce, remoulade sauce or citrus sauce
- Vegetables such as green peas, boiled/steamed broccoli or cucumber.
Have you tried my recipe? Please leave a comment!