Broccoli steak is a great alternative to a piece of meat for those who want to eat more vegetarian food. They have a fine texture, and their taste can vary easily with different spices and accessories.
Below the post you will find my favorite recipe for Broccoli Steak, which is delicious and easy to prepare at home + step by step pictures with instructions.
Tips for success with broccoli patties
To be successful with broccoli steak, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips for success with the recipe:
choose organic vegetables
I always recommend buying organic vegetables. This is especially important with broccoli dishes, as it is one of the most sprinkled vegetables.
I also use organic garlic and basil in this recipe.
dried or fresh basil
You can use dried or fresh basil in this recipe.
Really delicious and fresh basil can give a steak a particularly nice flavor, but it’s not necessary. Dry basil works too!
Selection of cheese
You can use anything in this recipe, but I like the old stuff.
When I made these broccoli patties I used cheddar cheese which made them taste really good.
More on Broccoli Steak
Broccoli steak is a great vegetarian dish that you can easily modify by adding different spices to the recipe and serving it with different side dishes.
You can serve broccoli steak with boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes or bulgur. Also suitable for salads, e.g. Good Tabbouleh.
It is also easy to change the sauce, because vegetable steaks are suitable for many people. However, I recommend a cold and creamy sauce for the broccoli steak – e.g. cold citrus sauce, tzatziki or chimichurri.
Broccoli steaks are just as good to eat as they are without a lot of accessories and sauces.
How long do broccoli patties last?
If you store steaks in an airtight container, they will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. However, it is best to eat them straight.
Can you use frozen broccoli?
Yes, it works, but it’s usually better and tastier with fresh broccoli.
If you are going to use frozen broccoli, it is important to thaw and drain it properly. If you add watery broccoli to the batter, it may be difficult for the patties to stick together.
I always recommend using fresh broccoli to make broccoli patties.
Does the recipe use aged cheese?
You can use any cheese! But I prefer the aged cheese because it gives a little more flavor.
Broccoli steaks are easy to make, and their taste can vary by changing the cheese and spices.
Serve the steak with potatoes, salad or bulgur with a nice cold sauce.
600 grams of broccoli florets (without stem)
2.5 dl breadcrumbs
200 g grated old cheese
1 tablespoon basil
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
0.5 tsp black pepper
olive oil for frying
- Boil salted water in a large pot and add the broccoli. Let it boil for a few minutes until it becomes a little soft (it shouldn’t be too soft).
- Drain the water and finely chop the broccoli or mash it with a potato masher (it should be in small pieces, not mashed). Store in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix into the dough and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Make patties out of the dough and fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- serve immediately.
1. Boil the broccoli in salted water. Cook until slightly soft (it shouldn’t cook much).
2. Drain the water and let the broccoli drain well. Mash the broccoli with a potato masher or chop it with a knife.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix them into a dough. Leave on for 15 minutes.
4. Heat a frying pan with olive oil on medium heat. Shape the dough into a patty and place it in the frying pan.
5. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until you get a beautiful golden color. serve immediately.
More veggie steak recipes
Have you tried my broccoli steak recipe? Please leave a comment!